Wheelhouse Counseling is the go-to referral for multiple schools, physicians, and community organizations with learning-differenced clients seeking to develop and maintain a healthy, happy life. Owner and Senior Clinician Brandon M. Wheeler is one of very few therapists in Houston with a specialty working with teens and adults with learning disabilities, including Autism Spectrum Disorders and other learning disabilities. Many of his clients seek a "coaching model" service that focuses on practical day-to-day skill building. Brandon's multi-faceted approach is designed to promote healthy adult habits, effective communication, family functioning, coping strategies, and goal acquisition.
Common outcomes of coaching with Brandon include:
- Adaptive behaviors that allow a client can compensate to changing environments.
- Self-advocacy confidence in difficult situations, which includes asking for help and asserting one’s own wants and needs.
- Tiered plans for education and employment activities that allow successful transitions into new stages of life.
- Healthy, interpersonal, day-to-day social connections with age-appropriate peers.
- Self-determination and active engagement of goal plans.
- Reduction in rigidity of thinking and action.
- Ability to transition to new tasks comfortably and independently.
- Self-regulation of emotions.
- Recognition of the connection between one’s behavior and situation outcomes.
In addition to one-on-one coaching/counseling, Wheelhouse Counseling offers periodic social events for learning differenced clients. This event series, call the High Functioning Happy Hour, includes instruction on and experiential practice of important social skills. Additionally, the events serve to help the clients broaden their own support networks. As is so often with such clients, it is not lack of information keeping them from their dreams, but rather lack of implementation. These events are implementation.
Please email Brandon if you would like to know more about this helpful service. Space is limited.
Our office is convenient to many Houstonians, located at 3334 Richmond Ave., Suite 125, 77098, near the intersection of Buffalo Speedway & Richmond Ave. This location is very close to The Rice Village, the Medical Center, Montrose and River Oaks, and includes free parking and free wifi access. He offers flexible appointment times - meeting clients in evenings and on weekends - so as to accommodate the busy schedules of contemporary life. Please email [email protected]to request an appointment.